Thinkingcap

Life's battles don't always go To the stronger or faster man, But soon or late the man who wins... Is the man who thinks HE CAN!!!

Friday, August 12, 2005

You Are A Special Star

You Are A Special Star



I was excited; I was to meet Preethi after twelve years. I was wondering what to give her as a gift. Having time on hand I decided to clean my cupboard. While cleaning my shelf, I found a poem. It was a poem that made a lot of sense and had hope as its basic sentiment .I liked it when I read it years ago. Titled "GOD HAS A PLAN FOR YOU", it touched me and I had decided to preserve it! Along with it was a group photograph of my batch mates in a special class I had joined. Preethi was next to me in the snap, smiling.

Preethi was a girl I noticed the very first day I joined the special classes. There was something about her smile or maybe her eyes that made me notice her in the class as soon as I entered. I joined late and so had to find my friends since groups had already been formed. Everyone was cordial and soon I got to know most of the students. Preethi still was someone I did not know.

Soon we were divided according to our choice of subjects chosen. Preethi and I were in the same group. Casually my friend asked Preethi what she was doing and she said she was married with two kids! We were shocked!On enquiring about her husband she told us he was an architect. Casual talk and we knew a little more about Preethi. We started interacting more in the class & soon were comfortable with each other.

One day Preethi told me she would like to come home to do combine studies with me as she was taking the subject after a break & I was studying it then in college. I readily agreed. She was quick to pick up little details & we had very short breaks. We religiously were finishing up portions of our assignments and were happy. On one occasion while having lunch I asked her who is her favourite actor. "Amitabh" she said. " So which one was your last movie?" I asked casually. That's it! I saw tears well up her eyes and was wondering what was wrong with my question. I told her I was sorry. She was crying by now! I told her, " We'll continue the studies tomorrow if you are feeling unwell!" What she told me however shocked me totally!

" Amitabh is Suresh, my husband's favourite actor too. I've seen all his movies with him. Suresh was the best thing that happened to me. Ours was an arranged marriage & he was a very successful architect in Mysore. Soon after my graduation I got married. It was like a dream come true. He was everything I dreamt of in a husband. Meghna came two years after our wedding, Chetna three years later. He was thrilled as he really loved girls & wanted only daughters. His was a family full of boys so everyone was happy. Life was perfect!

"Suresh drove from Mysore to Bangalore to see Chetna and after a few days had to rush back. He carried most of our clothes and said he would be back a month later to take us along. A crying Meghna let go of him only when he promised her dolls & toys when we went back to Mysore. He had come with his brothers and a cousin. They left in the morning. By afternoon the phone rang I picked it up with a smile knowing it would be Suresh. It was his brother instead. The news was bad! Suresh was serious! Only Suresh was injured so seriously."

"We hurried to Mysore and heard what we did not want to hear! Suresh was no more! My world came crashing down. What do I do with my two girls? My in-laws suddenly behaved indifferently & refused anything to me. Suresh had told me he'd transfer everything to my name this time. Life however had different plans! I came to live with my parents."

With a sister to be married, Preethi felt guilty to be a burden on her parents and wanted to become someone She joined the classes & this she did after she gathered herself after three years of the tragedy.

God! No one had moved me this much. Shell shocked at her determination I only tried my best to give her all the books I could get from my library. I visited her house once and she showed her wedding album. She looked radiant! When I commented, she smiled and told me that she was her college beauty queen. I was not surprised. She was really beautiful. She was now a poor reflection of what she was at the time of her marriage physically but mentally I knew she was really tough.

Circumstances changed I moved out of Bangalore & we continued to be in touch occasionally! Soon her brother and sister got married! We lost touch. Preethi however remained in my mind. I was wondering what had happened to her. After about four years I met a common friend & she told me on enquiring that Preethi was with the police service. I was thrilled!

She told me that I would never recognize Preethi if I met her now. She is confident & nowhere close to how she was during the classes. I was eager to meet her. I got her number & spoke to her. It felt really good! Her parents were now staying with her and kids grown up. She definitely sounded confident. I was really thrilled for her. We decided to meet sometime when it was mutually convenient.

I knew what to give Preethi. Preethi read it and her eyes welled up. This is what the poem said.


5 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Thanx Bala for visiting!

11:30 PM  
Blogger Random Scribbler said...

I got back to work today after a series of fights and arguments and hurtful words exchanged with my husband.I came across your blog accidentally and now i realise it was not meant to be an accident.The incident in this blog as awakened my spirits and made me realise how much i loved my husband till a year ago , as i have a 1 year old girl and right now my entire life revolves around her.Now i realise my husband also needs me................Thanks for making me realise it!

8:39 AM  
Blogger Random Scribbler said...

i meant the "Talk to me" incident in your blog.

8:54 AM  
Blogger Niraimathi said...

Hi Rashmi

Just got into your blog through some weird surfing... your posts are very very lovely .... full of energy :)

Felt excited when I saw that some of the stories/anecdotes especially Arthur Ashe's "Why me", "Carrot, Egg and Coffee" story, and the poem in this post "God has a plan for you" :)

Keep blogging :)

7:56 AM  
Blogger prabha said...

hi rashmi
a very interesting write. iloved reading it

5:18 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home