Thinkingcap

Life's battles don't always go To the stronger or faster man, But soon or late the man who wins... Is the man who thinks HE CAN!!!

Wednesday, February 11, 2009

YOUR CURVE!


The title of this post could be misleading but surely is bringing in what we need the most today, your curve!

Life around us gives us reasons to be happy. We just don't see them. Sometimes a great work of art can make you happy. It could be a painting, a poem, a story... just about anything that gives you a sense of complete satisfaction. A beautiful film is also one where the director as a story teller is successful at keeping our interest alive all through. A creation that makes you smile because it is mind blowing! Sometimes just because it is simple.There are a few films which fall in this genre. Two films I saw recently made me think they rightfully belong here. They made me cry & wonder how ironical life can be and happy at how simple they were!


Brilliant ! is how I would love to describe the first film. This was a movie I had not heard of & when my brother brought the DVD from the video store, I was curious. "It had great reviews & so I picked it up" said my brother. To me, except for Naseeruddin Shah and Koel Purie who were actors I knew, I didn't expect much. I sat to watch & when the final credits rolled tears welled up in my eyes & I wondered where do films like this vanish? Why don't they advertise such films?


"Amal" is a must watch film. Rupinder Nagra plays the role of Amal to the T! Adapted from a short story Amal - The Autorickshaw Wallah, written by Shaun Mehta , the movie is directed by his brother Richie Mehta with screenplay by both brothers. A low budget film, it won the San Francisco International Asian American Film festival Jury Award for best narrative in 2008 & the Whistler Film Festival's Philip Borsos Award for best actor to Rupinder Nagra. It also won the audience award & many others which it deserved. A typical O'Henry feel to the story, your heart goes out to the protagonist who is such a beautiful soul!


Another film, which I thought was a well told story was "Parzania- Heaven & Hell on Earth". An award winning film it kept me glued & at the same time set me thinking. It had an impressive cast of Naseeruddin Shah & Sarika -both perfect foils to each other. It could be described as depressing but then ended with hope. A beautiful sentence in the film was , the narrator saying "It is for the first time I realized that when religion can be the problem, it can also be the solution" When I read that it was based on a true story, it made me wonder what went through the people who were part of it in real life. What an experience it must have been. A bitter truth we cannot escape from. Fundamentalists , who decide who lives & who dies! How dare they!

Many a time, important questions get bogged down when wrong deeds get more highlighted. When we focus on the wrong we are giving the right less attention. Shouldn't it be the other way round? The law of attraction talks about vibrations that we attract. When we are constantly surrounded & fed with the wrong, we are attracting negativity into our lives & thus we are making the wrong choice. Maybe our focus should now be on that which is right. People around us are worried that life is not positive. There is a fear everywhere coupled with uncertainty. Very few talk about Hope because all they see around them is despair. Very few talk about Happiness because all they see around them sorrow.

It is in times like these that a victory is more relished or a story with hope better appreciated.

Gandhi said" Be the change you want to see". So let's spread this positivity.

Maybe we can start on an individual level with our curve. A curve which relaxes the one using it & the one it is used for.

We use it on many occasions, when we are happy, sarcastic, delighted ,to hide we are upset or when ironic.

Something which makes every individual using it beautiful.

Flash it first thing in the morning at yourself & then at the world.

Never leave home without it. Make sure you have one to pass it on.

Ironically it is free but rarely used.

It is that small little curve that straightens many things in your life
" YOUR SMILE!"

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Kavi said...

What a brilliant post !! It really put a curve on my face...!1
I am going to look up the movies and watch them.

We need movies like this. Movies that add soul !!

Lovely !

:)

8:23 PM  
Blogger Uma said...

hi,
I see there are messeges in ur posts....mean mature outlook.being
oversees is giving a different perspective to things
is that a reason?
good post

12:40 AM  
Blogger manju said...

Rashmi, I haven't seen either film, but will make a point do do so now.

Yes, many things would become more simple if we focussed on the positive and remembered to smile.:)

2:04 AM  
Blogger Balaji S Rajan said...

Nice photograph! It looks like someone smiling on the sky. By the way thanks for telling us about the movies. I shall definitely note them down and try to get them when I get a chance. I do watch such movies and have a strange collection.

Hope you are having fun in US. Could you please mail me your US contact number to my mail id balajis04@yahoo.com so that we can have a short chat.

8:30 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hope you liked the movies Kavi. Howz your curve!


No Uma, haven't i always written like this?

Glad you agree Manju.

Thanks Bala! Will surely write to you.

4:09 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home