Thinkingcap

Life's battles don't always go To the stronger or faster man, But soon or late the man who wins... Is the man who thinks HE CAN!!!

Wednesday, January 14, 2009

I BELIEVE THEY EXIST!


Today's kids are a little too practical. We as kids believed in a make believe world of tooth fairy, Santa, Angels and the like & never questioned their existence. Our childhood was more fun I presume. But then times have changed. It's Vice city and different kinds of action missions &that entertain today's kids. They are little too proof oriented. My six year old nephew's tooth had fallen off & he carefully placed it under his pillow saying," Tooth fairy is going to give me money by the morning." My 12 yer old laughed & said, "Of course not! there is no tooth fairy! Your Amma is going to keep that money." My nephew was heartbroken & looked at his mother asking,"Yeah Amma, Is there no tooth fairy? You keep the money?" My sister smiled & said," It's very simple Yash ,if you believe in tooth fairy , she exists."Those words remained with me.

I was leaving for California on the 24th night. As i waved to my family & went into the terminal I never realized I will be having the biggest revelation in my life. With my passport & ticket , I checked in my bags & when they tried to issue my boarding pass, the system asked for the credit card number. My brother had not given me this. I did not even remotely think this would be asked. An official came with me to make a call to my brother asking him to fax a copy of his credit card. I tried calling & it went to his voice mail. I called home & told my sister to call him & let him know. The official walked me into the terminal asked me to wait. I waited.

It was my first visit to the US & my brother had spent an hour the previous day helping me understand filling the various forms & the credit card details had slipped both our minds. I put my hand into my handbag into which I had put some books & the book I pulled out first was"Who will Cry when you die". I smiled & started reading it. I entered the airport at 8 p.m & now it was 8.45p.m. At 9p.m he came back & said he still hasn't got the fax. He came back with me to make another call home.

(Can you believe this? In the new Bangalore International airport there are no PCOs in the departure terminal only in the arrival terminals. So every time I had to make a call an official had to accompany me. What a pain!)

He brought his senior official along who asked me, "How could you not do this? It is mandatory to have credit card details. I can always send you back ." I looked at her & genuinely told her," I'm sorry for all the trouble." She immediately calmed down. The official gave me his mobile number & asked me to give this to my brother. I called my sister & she gave it to him. When my brother called on his mobile , the lady gave him her email id as the fax was not working & asked him to scan it. He did it. After 20 minutes i was called to be issued the boarding pass. The ordeal over, I thought & went to collect my boarding pass only to face a new challenge. The number was a different one. We made another call home as my brother's mobile went back to voice mail. This was getting too much. It was 9.45 p.m. 10p.m was when they would close the counter. I called my brother's cell & left a message that if he did not call in the next ten minutes I may not be able to leave that day. When I asked what my other option is the official said that i could travel the next day. As his shift was coming to an end at 10p.m , he wanted to settle this before he left. I told him then I'd take the next day's flight & he said he would confirm it. Surprisingly I was pretty cool & as we got back into the departure terminal. His mobile rang. It was my brother reconfirming he had scanned the correct one & confirmed the number on phone. The time was 9.55 p.m & I got my boarding pass. I had a few chocolates which I thrust into the official's hand & wished him," Thank you so much. Happy Christmas !" I could not believe that 5 minutes back I called home & told them I would be returning. Now I was going to the security check.

To me this was the best Christmas gift . Mr. Jumsy -the official - was my SANTA CLAUS. Not the roly poly one with rein deers , a white beard and a gift sack. But in some other form which probably I would not have recognized otherwise. I learnt that when you go beyond the call of duty& you are making a difference to somebody, then you become a fairy , angel or even Santa Claus to them. Who said it's all fiction. IF YOU BELIEVE THEY EXIST THEY DO!


What a hope to begin the new year!

HAPPY PONGAL & HAPPY SANKRANTI!

6 Comments:

Blogger Kavi said...

Thats neat !

But i didnt quite realise that credit card details were so critical.!

Bt his is iinteresting. And these santas are everywhere. And we have the potential to play that role too..!!

But this is an interesting read. A read which just about explains the optimism for the future some ofus sport !!

Wonderful and thanks for sharing !

7:37 PM  
Blogger Uma said...

good
.people find officials as 'fairy" who are otherwise called "babus"

thanks

3:37 AM  
Blogger Smitha said...

Just hopped here - from your comment on my blog. Can't imagine what you must have gone through! Thank god for Santa Claus :)

2:54 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Sure Kavi! it made me good to feel I play that role too.

Well uma, as for the Babus am not sure. This was an official from the private airline i was flying by. Do i return your thanks? he!! he!!

I know Smitha, Thank God for Santa. Am glad you can tell your daughter with conviction that he exists. Just that he dresses up
differently each time!

10:49 AM  
Blogger aMus said...

that sure was interesting...yes, santa sure helped you there...hope you had a pleasant journey...

10:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

sure I did Suma, thanks! still wondering how unpredictable life is.

7:16 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home